Instead of turning around the fuselage, we decided to rivet it from “down under”. We put it on some sawhorses and then had a good training session with long arms. No need for a gym today.Continue Reading... No Comments.
Continue Reading... No Comments.
This is a detailed photo of one of the fixing points for the parachute. Every point has to be able to withstand a force of 5G.The upper bolts will be replaced by special NAS shear bolts to be sure to the parachute is not lost.Continue Reading... No Comments.
We had to move into our garage at this time to do the final riveting of the tailcone. Finalizing in the basement would not be a good idea, we would never get out it. So the car has to park outside from now on. Furthermore the temperature in the garage is not as comfortable […]Continue Reading... No Comments.
The photo shows the recovery system as seen from above. The hole in the tailcone will later be covered by a 0.020 Aluminum plate. Due to the hole size in a structural important skin, the opening t is supported by a 0.032 doubler. The channel around the hole is to protect the parachute […]Continue Reading... No Comments.
For safety reasons we decided to install a ballistic recovery system. This picture shows our own construction how to fix it in the tailcone. The white cylinder is the rocket which if engaged in emergency will pull out the parachute (in the black box). We use the recovery system from Junkers-Profly. They have a […]Continue Reading... No Comments.
Although not required in the manual. I decided to fabricate this doubler to prohibit the “eyebrows” (front top window) from cracking. I used 0.040 Aluminum, probably a bit oversized, but I had some spare parts.Continue Reading... No Comments.
To drill the holes in the cabin bottom, we put the cabin on the floor and turned it upside down. It is a lot easier to drill those approx. 1000 holes at the bottom.Continue Reading... No Comments.
The cabin top was missing in my kit. So I fabricated it by myself from 0.0.20 Aluminum.Continue Reading... No Comments.
The firewall made from stainless steel is installed and drilled here. Grey adhesive tape is at this step a useful tool to put and hold the parts in place.Continue Reading... No Comments.
These cabin channels are a nightmare for probably every builder. You have to measure, cut and install every single of these. Furthermore every channel needs two angles at each side for installation. I installed some more channels than required to get more stiffness in the floor. It overall took several weeks to install […]Continue Reading... No Comments.
We installed a double floor in the tailcone. Not required by the kit, but thus more place for luggage and nice place in future to be able to sleep in the plane. Of course a stiffer tailcone paid with a little bit more weight.Continue Reading... No Comments.
We installed the rear float attach points. In Germany we will probably never have a need to install floats (for water landings/starts). But who knows, maybe some time we move somewhere where water landings are possible.Continue Reading... No Comments.
A shrinker/stretcher is needed for some parts in the fuselage.Continue Reading... No Comments.
FUS-30 in the rear is a tricky part to install. Especially since we decided to install a 0.032 doubler. Adhesive tape (“Panzerband”) is essential for this task.Continue Reading... No Comments.
This probably happens to every builder. From time to time you are drilling your finger. The small drills (#40 = 2,5 mm) drill into your fingers fairly easy. Up to now never had a big problem with that. One time drilled my finger, once my son’s.Continue Reading... No Comments.
This bulkheads form the tailcone. Some more aluminum sheet and some rivets and that’s nearly an airplane.Continue Reading... No Comments.
An important milestone is reached! Both wings are finalized and waiting in the wingstand for future installation. You can see plastic tubes (normally used by electricians) in the middle of the wings. These will be used for cable installation.Continue Reading... No Comments.